We arrived back in Kathmandu yesterday afternoon on a 30min turbulent flight from Pokera. Others took the 6-8hr bus ride back which I was grateful to skip out on this time around. It's been quite the journey and race that I think tops out as one of the coolest things I've ever done. Nothing is quite like it really. It was raw racing the felt like a crazy combination of a expedition mountain climb, mountain bike stage race, adventure race, cultural back packing trip with 30 multi national, unique, fun adventurous bikers. It was all that I hopped for and more.
This event was started to help the growth and development of mountain biking in Nepal. To give these outstanding Nepali riders the opportunity to gain recognition and competition in an international field. These locals are amazing riders with a huge amount of talent and pasion in mnt biking and they make hill climbing look so easy. It's great to hear that some of the top local racers are just starting to be able to travel and compete internationally at classic races like La Ruta, Costa Rica and next the top 2 are off to The Cape Epic in South Africa. Mountain biking is an expensive sport which makes for an even more expensive sport for the Napalies. With local incomes way bellow foreigners wages sponsorship is crucial in the development of the sport for them. With their talent, youth on their side, and great attitudes this is a prime time to shed some light to the rest of the world of these amazing athletes and hopefully help them grow within the sport.
Some of the best mountain biking in the world is found in Canada. Especially around the west coast where I now live. Whistler is known around the world as a mecca for biking and is many riders dream of visiting and riding at one day. My hopes and dreams is to be able to bring some Nepali riders out and give them the chance to ride and compete in the Canadian mnt. bike field. I think these guys could knock the socks off some of our top riders and it would be great to test their skills on our technical terrain.
Being the first Canadian here at the Yak Attack I'm excited to return home and share this mountain bike race and give recognition of the talented Nepali mnt bikers. I hope to find a way to bring more opportunities to these well deserving athletes and spark interests in some Canadain sponcerships.
Nepal is well known for it's trekking and mountaineering. Nepal by mountain bike is what I'd like to come back for more of. Mustang area is suppose to be amazing riding. When Jeremy asked one of the local racers and bike guide where his favorite area was to bike he said "Mustang, When I go there it's so beautiful I cry" Mnt biking Nepal should be added to all mountain bikers destination bucket list! Great guides to show you around here.
I want to thank everyone who put so much effort in putting this race together. It's been an absolute pleasure meeting all the racers and sharing lots of laughs and great meals with. Yak attack is in a league of it's own and should not be underestimated. Many factors have a play in having a successful completion of this race and luck seems to be one of them. The day after we crossed the pass a huge wind storm rolled in closing access making the pass impassable. Snow then fell all the way down to Manang. Had we been one day latter no one would have finished this race.
My 12 day event is now finished as I walk away successfully completing in 17th place over all and 2nd in the Females. I'm left with many memories, run down and with a cold. We fly out tomorrow for a night in India then off to Thailand for our well deserved r&r beach time. Thank you to all back home who followed the race and supported me. Love you all hope to get some pictures up soon or else you'll have to wait tell I get back home in a few weeks.
All sounds incredible Carena. I'm openly, extremely jealous!!! I don't get the chance to rad them all but I always love your and Jer's posts. Thanks for keeping them coming. And best of luck guys!
ReplyDelete