
YAK ATTACK 2012 marchThe days are getting shorter. The weather is turning colder and here I am getting ready for bike season. A winter of riding in the rain and snow lies ahead to prepare me for what I reckon will top the list of ultimate challenges. The highest mountain bike race on earth. 6th year running, Nepals stage race through the Annapurrna region... THE
YAK ATTACK.
10 Stages
400km
12000m vertical climbing,
Peaking at a hight of 5,416m
More information check out:
www.yak-attack.co.uk
After first reading about Yak Attack through sleep monsters adventure racing website I was immediately drawn to this outrageous adventure and challenge. To me it sounded like an amazing mountain bike race with some adventure racing flare. This isn't your typical mountain bike stage race due to the significant amount of hike a bike, the remoteness, the ranges in temps you will encounter +30 to -15c and not to mention the high altitude. With a limit of 30 competitors allowing only 15 international racers each year very few of the competitors have been female. I believe there has only ever been two women in that time from Nepal and NZ. I'm excited to be joining the limited few females who have ever attempted this race and even more stoked that I will be out there amongst at least 2 other strong females this year coming from USA and Scotland.
Extreme World Challenges is a UK based organization that puts on this non-profit race, event. Bringing this event to Nepal gives the local athletes a chance to race in an international field gaining international recognition and development. ( see "our Aim " on website for more info.) There is much talent in Nepal obviously as it has only ever been won by a Nepali. Being the first Canadian to be apart of this race and having the opportunity to have Jeremy join and follow the race I hope to report and expose the Canadian world to the talents of the Nepali athletes and the beautiful country they live among. 6 years ago Jeremy and I hiked the Annapurna Circuit( the race coarse ). I can't fathom how it will be by bike yet but I do know it will be an incredible challenge and adventure. I look forward to be retuning to this beautiful country, culture and friendly people.
No comments:
Post a Comment