
Jeremy and his camera. The one responsible for all these wonderful pictures.

Thorong La Pass 4am start we hike with our bikes 5km (3hrs) to reach our highest height of 5414m from then it was a 22km descent down snow and ice then jeep track back to warmth.

My home made straps worked beautifully. Here I am resting on a rock. I was hurting big time. Not enough clothes, I was freezing and couldn't feel my feet or hands. The altitude and weight of the bike was punishing. I was really scared that I was going to get frost bite or be too tired to make it and sit down and go hypothermic. Stupid Canadian thinking I can handle the cold. Should have been more prepared but the adventure racer in me thinks " pack light, go fast" Could have used a bigger pack for this stage with more clothes!

Thank @#%$%$## goodness! By golly I finally made it up this pass after something like 14 false summits 3 hrs later. Frozen, numb and disoriented from exhaustion and altitude it was time to head down. A challenge all on its own.

I rode what I could which wasn't much considering I couldn't move my hands to even just squeeze the brakes. I felt drunk and wild sliding, falling just hoping that the descent would go faster. I rode with another Nepali rider for the rest of the day and was constantly amused with his falling and uncontrollable sliding in the snow. I laughed thinking is this for real. This is one wild ride and even wilder race. I love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment