Thursday, March 15, 2012

Stage 10 Kagbeni- Tatopani

67km 100% ride able ALT 2776-1190m

Final stage. Just in time as my body has had enough and is begging for a rest. After the epic pass stage I'm run down and fighting a killer sore throught. A long distance day but for the most part flat (ish), some small climbs then a 30km descent. This side of the pass is much different then the valley we came up on. Wider, dryer and crazy wind/ sand storms ever! 9:30 start we thought we'd be in the clear of the afternoon winds but today however they were howling before we even got out of bed. From Kagbeni to Johmson we followed a dried river bed. The wind was so intense that I was stopped dead in my tracks after turning a corner and toppled over. I could barely take any steps even just by pushing my bike. I stuck back with a couple others and we tried to work together blocking the wind. When gusts came through with sand I'd have to stop at times and just brace myself from the sand blasts. Doug and I rode majority of the first half together like this. I was thankful to have someone else to fight through the wind storm with. The small framed Nepali riders were getting blow en around out there up ahead too. Eventually after a couple hours of head winds we were more sheltered and rolling down hills passing through apple and oranges orchards eventually arriving in Tatopani (Tato- Hot, Pani - water ) for the finial finish of the Yak Attack. This was the first stage that was won by an international. Pete the long, lean, powerhouse Aussie. My nose and lips are chapped and I'm sure I'll be finding sand on me in the weeks to come. The hot springs were much appreciated by all and seemed to fade away the memories of out suffering in the cold. What a race! Yak Attack.... Epic, Adventure, Challenging.
I'm so happy to have successfully completed. People were sick, some turned back, bikes broke down, frost bite on some now. I don't know if it was luck or my trusty, resilient stomach but with no real illness, not one single mechanical or any injury's or falls I couldn't have asked for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment