Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back in the Rockies but not for long...

Back in Winter. It's been a month now that we've been back and enjoying what winter has to offer. Some skiing, ice climbing and catching up with good friend. Christmas was spent in Calgary and then we headed off to Revelstoke for some skiing and ring in the new year. An opportunity came about over the holidays for me to join an Ecuador team down in Ecuador to race in a 3 day adventure race. I've been back in Canmore for the month of January training to get back up to speed for this race. I will be heading down to Ecuador on January 26th to start my acclimatization and train down in some warmer weather and meet the others before the race which starts Feb. 13-15. This is one of the highest races in the world ranging from 2500m- 4500m. I've been trying out an acclimatization method in town here where I go in each day for 60-90 min to breath in regulated oxygen which simulates altitude and preps your body to adjust to it prior to your arrival. Seeing these guys live at nearly 3000m I need any help I can get. I'm looking forward to this race and spending time in Ecuador although it's all a little overwhelming with having short notice and having not met the other team mates who I'll be spending the next 3- 4 weeks with in a country which I don't speak the local language. Sometimes the adventure in adventure racing is the preparing and the experience of getting to the start line then the actual race itself. An adventure on its own. Jeremy will come down after the race and we hope to travel a bit around Peru and get some climbing and mountain biking in.


No comments:

Post a Comment